Find things in the weirdest places. While looking at something random on Wikipedia, I clicked on the entry for Jazz Hands. Amusing. But at the bottom of it, a reference to an online game that also sounded amusing. And is it ever.
It’s called the Kingdom of Loathing. It’s played through your browser, a kind of MUD/RPG game and spoof at the same time. I like:
- the emphasis on literate speech/typing (in order to be admitted to the chat you must first pass a test administered by the Ghost of Literacy)
- funny descriptions and references everywhere
- stick figure graphics! yay!
- puzzles to solve (and also friendly people, at least in my clan – Snugglemonsters)
- and best of all – it’s a turn based game, with 40 “adventures” per day. You can extend that somewhat by eating or drinking certain things, etc – but it’s limited. After a while you pretty much have to stop playing until the next day. Which I (obsessive much?) desperately need. I like that it can’t totally take over my time. (I used to MUD a lot in college, for a couple of semesters — way too much, of course. This one is fun but forcibly not all-encompassing.)