ETA 11/30: The ear section in particular is a bit tricky. I am editing the instructions slightly, and will be adding have added a video. If you have more questions or troubleshooting, please, leave me a comment! (Or, hey, even if you just like it…)
At last, the pattern! It works up quite small – he rests in the palm of your hand. (I’ll try to add a photo to make the scale clear.) I tested it making a pink fox for my daughter – perhaps I will add a pic later. Let me know if there are mistakes, or I need to clarify. Feel free to make many little foxes – and please, I’d love to see photos! – but please do not copy the pattern to your own site – leave a link instead. Also, please do not sell the pattern, nor make them and sell them online. Thanks.
By me! S. J. Montgomery
- 3.0 mm hook
- Soft acrylic worsted weight yarn, red and a small amount of white
- small amount of fiberfill
- 6 mm safety eyes, 7 mm triangle safety nose; or black perle cotton or embroidery thread for embroidering nose and eyes
- yarn needle
- Magic ring
- inc = increase
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- f.l. = front loop
- invdec = invisible decrease
- four loop bobble (in feet): (Yarn over hook and insert hook into stitch; yo and pull up a loop; yo and pull the yarn through 2 loops) repeat this 3 times into the same stitch – you will have 4 loops on your hook. YO and pull through all 4 loops. Here is a nice video tutorial; this site also has a few pictures.
Please note: normally I suggest, when making amigurumi, alternating the pattern a little to avoid lines, i.e. if the pattern of the round is (1 + inc) around and the next is (2 + inc) around, I would say alternate whether you start with the 1 sc or the inc, so as to avoid a line where all the inc are lined up. HOWEVER, in the head part of this pattern, it is important to follow the instructions so as to get the proper shaping. In the body and tail you may want to try the alternating I talked about above.
Head & Body
1. 4 sc in magic ring
2. inc every stitch (8)
3. sc around (8)
4. 2 sc, 3 inc, 3 sc (11) [insert nose]
5. 2 sc, (1 sc, inc) 3 times, 3 sc (14)
6. inc, 2 sc, (inc, 1 sc) 4 times, 3 sc (19) [place eyes between rounds 5 & 6 where the head widens (opposite your starting st), 6 st apart. You can wait until you make the ears before inserting them.]
7. sc around
Making the ears, they are worked as part of the head. [If you have trouble, look in the comments/ask a question there for help, or try the new video tutorial. Also embedded at the bottom of the post.]
8. 6 sc, (sc into front loop of st above eye, ch 3, skip 1st ch, 2 sc [down chain], sc into f.l. next head st of rnd; turn [work up ear], sc, sl st; turn [work down ear], sl st, sl st into f.l. of next head st) 3 sl st in f.l. of next 3 sts in round; repeat parentheses once, 4 sc
9. sc around (through back loops of ear sections) (19)
10. invdec, 2 sc, invdec, 2 sc, 2 invdec, 2 sc, invdec, sc, invdec [goes one st into next row, move marker for new starting stitch] (12)
11. sc, 2 inc, 7 sc, 3 inc (18)
12. (2 inc, 2 sc) 4 times, 2 sc (26)
13-17. sc around
18. (2 sc, dec) around, 2 sc (17)
19. sc around
20. (invdec, sc) around, invdec (13)
Stuff head & body firmly.
21. 6 invdec, one st left (7)
Drawstring (using needle, weave yarn tail through front loop of each stitch and pull tight) closed.
Start with white.
1. 3 sc in ring
2. inc around (6)
3. (1 sc + inc) around (9)
4. (1 sc + inc) around (13)
5-8. sc around
9. (1 sc + invdec) around, 1 sc (9)
10. (1 sc + invdec) around (6)
11. invdec around (3)
Drawstring closed. Leave long tail of yarn, sew to body.
Legs (make 4)
1. 5 sc in ring
2. 2 sc, bobble, 2 sc
3. sc around
4. sc around, attach with sl st to next st.
Tuck tail from magic ring into foot. Leave long tail of yarn, sew to body.