So I want to make a Thanksgiving mix, or something. Got suggestions? Here’s my (probably quite traditional) ideas so far:
- Because I Have Been Given Much (lovely version here on youtube)
- I Have Been Blessed, Martina McBride
- Thank You and/or Wonder, Natalie Merchant
- Little Wonders, Rob Thomas
- Alice’s Restaurant (classic!), Arlo Guthrie
- Simple Gifts
- Eat It, Weird Al (ho ho ho)
- For the Beauty of the Earth
- Come Ye Thankful People Come
- We Gather Together
- These Are Days, 10,000 Maniacs
- Thankful Heart, Veggietales!
- Better Together, Jack Johnson
- Just Another Day in Paradise, Phil Vassar
- If You Listen, Elizabeth Mitchell
Maybe some Aaron Copeland; also I love the track Thanksgiving on George Winston’s December album, though it’s melancholy.
And while we’re at it, what about Thanksgiving movies? Charlie Brown, of course, but what else? I think of Homeward Bound as a Thanksgiving movie because of the end (“TURKEY!!!”), and Veggietales’ Madame Blueberry definitely fits the bill (I LOVE that one, just by the way. The butterfly of happiness cannot live in your house if it’s too full of Stuff!). What else? It’s A Wonderful Life is at least as much a giving thanks movie as a Christmas one.
Anyway, who has suggestions? Movies and songs. Let’s hear ’em.